April showers, huh? Mother Nature is such a jokester. April will feel more like spring this week they say. In the meantime …
- CEA Executive Committee Meeting – Tues April 12 @4p at Hambden Elementary room 103. All committee chairs, representatives, and officers invited. Members, last call for nominations for CEA Friend of Education. Please send me (Tammy) a detailed email outlining your nominee’s contribution to your students, school or district as a whole. We will also be approving our CEA Scholarship winner.
- CEA elections — Nominations for VP, Treasurer, building reps, NEOEA/OEA reps continue through Apr 20. Please notify Elections Chairperson Cheri Gualdoni of your nomination or intention to run again. We will hold in-building elections May 3-5. In other election news, the NEOEA endorses Tim Myers for STRS board. Please cast your vote as outlined in your voting materials mailed home.
- News from Dr. Hanlon and the Board — At their recent work session, they discussed Special Education department, requirements and financial obligations associated with student placement. They plan to hire an assistant director to assist with Ms. Elegante, a position previously RIF’d under Superintendent Bergant. I shared my personal agreement with Dr. Hanlon and support this long-awaited hiring. If you have or know someone with SpEd and administrative credentials, this may be a perfect fit.
- NEOEA has a redesigned website. Check it out and be sure to take advantage of membership discounts! They also have professional experiences and committees that support us, so consider joining and making a larger difference as well as expand your professional network. NEOEA.org
- Chardon Living Memorial Park fundraiser — Sunday May 1 — we can all participate in some way whether volunteering, running, walking, buying car raffle ticket. See our district website for the link.
- Recognition Dinner — We open National Teacher Appreciation Week on Monday May 2 honoring educators who have reached 5-year milestones in their careers. Chairperson Patty Pinckard is finalizing plans. Honorees span the entire district, so please plan to attend this adult event and cheer on your colleagues. After all, 35+ is the new 30. We need extended cheer time 😉
- Professional development — Google Apps for Education Summit June 13-15 — We all received $300 in September’s payroll to supplement our own professional development opportunities. Perhaps this GAFE Summit is just what you need…
Politically, the NEA PAC recommends endorsements based on candidate interviews, written responses to their views on public education, and how closely aligned they are to our association Resolutions. The PAC endorsed Mrs. Clinton for the primaries (was not unanimous) and will hold another round of interviews with participating candidates to recommend for the general election. The NEA assembly representatives in early July votes on the final endorsement, announced to members immediately via Twitter and email if you receive NEA Today updates.
Rounding 3rd and heading home! March and April are busy months for everyone and CEA is no different. We have several events and membership opportunities coming up you should know about.
- NOMINATIONS for CEA Executive Committee officers (VP and Treasurer) and building-level representatives as well as NEOEA/OEA reps are underway. Please contact our Elections Chairperson, Cheri Gualdoni (email@example.com) with your nomination. Attached is our C&B which outline duties and stipends. Deadline is April 20. Elections May 3-5.
- NEW COMMITTEE FORMING – Dr. Hanlon is requesting a new committee form to discuss the financial/academic impact we have with community schools. A huge amount of tuition money is automatically deducted from our annual budget to pay for online students who leave our buildings. One of the first tasks will be to determine why the students leave in the first place. Please RSVP to me as soon as possible so this committee can meet a few times after school.
- FRIEND OF EDUCATION – Every year we honor a community member for their volunteerism to our students, teachers and schools. Please share your nomination and rationale with me before April 8 so the Exec Comm can vote on the nominees at our April 12 meeting. Our F.O.E. will be recognized at our May 2 Recognition Dinner.
- DEPENDENT AUDIT – Reminder to complete the district’s major medical insurance Dependent Audit. This audit was a result of the last round of bargaining when updated information was sought on exactly who is covered and who has aged out. If you do not respond to the Audit by the date indicated on the district letter, all of your dependents will be removed from your insurance plan for the rest of the 2016 calendar year. Please do your best to compl.
- Speaking of insurance… the Insurance Committee is reviewing joining an online doctor service which could potentially save us out-of-pocket expenses. If the committee recommends joining, the BOE will vote in the coming months. An example of this service is TeleDoc: https://www.teladoc.com/how-does-it-work/
- March 16 North Coast UniServ Spring Workshop (flyers previously delivered to buildings) – This dinner and workshop provides great networking and P.D. for Lake, Geauga and Ashtabula members at a super low cost. Perhaps I will see you there!
- Chardon Living Memorial Park May 1 fundraisers – 1/2 marathon, 5K run/walk and car raffle – register and purchase your raffle tickets now at http://www.chardonlivingmemorialpark.org/ . Having Chardon teachers present will be wonderful and fitting!
The best for last … 2016 C.E.A. SCHOLARSHIP – Every year we give $1000 at Senior Awards Night (May 12) to a deserving senior who plans to major in education. Our Scholarship Selection Committee is currently reviewing applicants.
Have a great March and spring break. “Spring forward” one hour on the clock this weekend.
February is here (already) and there’s still so much to do. I have a few items to update you on.
- General Membership Meeting & Ratification Vote – Mon, Feb 8 after school in LGIR. CMS/CHS members can report at 3pm; Elem or members who couldn’t make the 3pm meeting can report at 4pm. If you are receiving Remind texts, this invite was sent Friday evening 1/29. Still need to join Remind? Text @chardon to 81010 from your smartphone.
Article 5.01.4E – vote to change language “Thursday before Good Friday” compensatory day to “Monday following Easter”.
Friedrichs V. California Teachers Association – present Supreme Court case & implications.
Dues payment structure – discussion.
Pertinent issues learned from Bargaining conference.
If you have any items you’d like to place on this agenda, please contact Tammy ASAP.
- Your Negotiations Team will be heading to Columbus this weekend for the annual Collective Bargaining Conference. They will participate in discussions and seminars pertinent to issues locally and across the state.
- Next CEA Exec Comm meeting is Tues Feb 9 @ 4pm at CHS/204. Please share any concerns or helpful info with your building rep prior to our meeting.
- Next BOE meeting is Mon Feb 22 @ 6:30 pm. They are expected to vote on the adoption of the 2016-17 district calendar. See our CEA GC (Oct 24 posting) for Calendar E.
- Your Association dues are tax deductible if you file long-form. See Tracey Best’s CEA GC Jan 21 posting. If you have any questions, please ask Tracey.
Welcome to 2016! I hope your first day of second semester went smoothly and your students are ready for the challenges ahead. A few items to update you on…
- Chardon BOE meetings: Jan 6 for Tax Hearing and its Organizational meeting (elect new President, Vice President) and Jan 11 for regular board meeting. When these agendas are posted by Christa Barto, please take a few minutes to reference them, especially if you have overnight field trips pending approval, salary adjustments or extended leaves being approved. You have until the night of the meeting to personally inquire with Dr. Hanlon prior to their vote. The board will entertain questions from the public, but you must register at the door to speak.
- CEA Executive Comm Mtg – Tues Jan 12 at Chardon MS. Your building reps, officers and committee chairpersons attend this meeting and update what’s happening.
- Friedrichs v CTA – We are keeping a watchful eye on this Supreme Court case (see excerpt from OEA magazine below). I will be attending an emergency meeting in Columbus later this month sponsored by OEA and will share information.
- Professional Meeting Day – Fri Jan 15 – Administration has organized several seminars in various buildings; be looking for information from central office and plan your day accordingly. It is a full contractual day.
- District Calendar for 2016-17 – If passed by the BOE in its current form, the CEA will need to hold a ratification meeting to amend the contract to permit moving the April compensatory day. Preview calendar and provide comment to the Board: http://www.chardon.k12.oh.us/protected/ArticleView.aspx?iid=6YABPP2&dasi=1B
CEA Monthly Events (also posted in CEA’s Google Classroom):
Hard to believe we are in November already. A few items to update you on…
- CEA Executive Meeting – Tues Nov 10 @
at Munson Elementary.
- The NEOEA is welcoming our NEA President Lily Eskelsen Garcia to the Cleveland area. She will be the guest speaker at the Nov 6 City Club and our NEOEA rep assembly this weekend. When she was Vice President, she visited Chardon at the opening of the 2012-13 school year.
- Newly elected Board Members are Karen Blankenship, Sheldon Firem and Guy Wilson. Thank you to all who participated in voting. David Fairbanks and Victoria Nicholas were not victorious. The new board members will begin duties in January. Unofficial results from the Board of Elections:
CHARDON LOCAL SCHOOL DISTRICT – Board of Education Elect 3
Karen Blankenship. . . . . . . . 3,589
David P. Fairbanks . . . . . . . 2,522
Sheldon Firem . . . . . . . . . 2,749
Victoria A. Nicholas. . . . . . . 2,551
Guy R. Wilson . . . . . . . . . 2,710
- District Calendar options – Dr. Hanlon and I discussed adding 2 more options which essentially split the 7 days of spring break into 5 days in March and 2 days around the Easter weekend. When I have those draft calendars, I will share with you for further input. The CEA and Administration will discuss and recommend one calendar to Hanlon later this month.
Enjoy what’s left of Indian Summer. Good luck to all our student-athletes and student-actors in upcoming events and performances. Topper Up!
August/September 2015 Update
Continuing Contract and Salary Column changes – deadlines approaching If you haven’t already read through Dr. Hanlon’s “Topper News,” please do so. He’s included the contract language on how to apply for continuing contract (e.g., “tenure”). Deadline to write your letter of intent is . If you’ve accumulated college semester hours and qualify for advancement on the salary schedule, official transcripts must be received to Dr. Hanlon’s office by It is best to email him and his secretary, Christa Barto, that you are requesting a salary adjustment. All salary changes must be approved by the BOE.
CEA Exec Committee – Reps Elected
We held CEA building rep elections for the Middle School and Park Elem on Aug 13. Results of the balloting:
- Kathleen Haeberle – CMS representative, Barb Rosengard – CMS alternate
- Carrie Stewart – Park representative, Emily Cox – Park alternate
The next CEA Executive Committee meeting is Tues Sept 8 at CHS / Rm 204. All officers, building reps, NEOEA/OEA reps and committee chairs are invited to attend and give their respective reports.
CEA Night out at the Lake Erie Captains Game – Sun Sept 6
Thank you to Al Herner and our Unification Team for coordinating this fun outing! Wear your light blue CEA shirt (or any light blue shirt) to the game. Kids can run the bases and fireworks post-game.
BOE Elections – Tues Nov 3
There will be 3 Board positions filled by our Chardon voters from a field of five candidates. The CEA will most likely offer a questionnaire to the candidates asking their positions on various school-related items. This questionnaire will be available to members for their review.
Committees in Place
The following Chairpersons will happily answer any member’s questions/concerns.
- Membership: Tracey Best
- Unification: Brandon Lichtinger
- Elections: Cheri Gualdoni
- Public Relations: Patty Pinckard
- Webmaster & Gmail: Sierra Polsinelli
- Grievance: Tammy Segulin
- OEA/NEOEA: Kim Haines, Jen Kreuz, Carla Pearson
CEA + Admin Committees:
- Student Growth Measures: Dwight Goss
- Insurance: Tammy Segulin
- Professional Staff Council: Tammy Segulin, Dan Heintz
- Negotiations: Tammy Segulin
- LPDC: Melanie Elliott